Located in the heart of San Jose's historic Rose Garden district, Temple Emanu-El is very accessible and can be easily reached from Highways 101, 280, and 880.
We are fortunate to own a beautiful property made up of multiple buildings and programatic spaces, enabling us to provide our congregants with a full range of programs and services. Our campus includes:
Our congregation's elegant domed sanctuary, with a hand-carved Torah Ark and upholstered chairs, seats 500. We use it regularly for services on Shabbat and holidays, and for religious school worship and celebration on Sundays and Wednesdays. The sanctuary is also embellished with elaborate and historic stained glass windows. An adjoining chapel is further decorated with more stained glass, saved from the fire that destroyed our original building in 1940, and beautiful dark wood paneling.
The large social hall, refurbished in 2001, which is well-appointed with a stage and adjoining kitchen. It is available to rent for weddings, bar and bat mitzvahs, etc. To inquire about reserving, please email the Temple administration.
A separate building houses our religious school and pre-school. Three stories tall and recently renovated, it also contains a complete Jewish library.
Other Features of Our Facility
- An in-house Judaica gift shop.
- The Benefactors' Friendship Room, an elegant, small social hall and meeting area.
- A full-service kitchen
- A private courtyard, in which we hold religious services and social events during the summer months.
The Home of Peace Cemetery
In 1869, the Bickur Cholim Society (later renamed Temple Emanu-El) purchased this land from the City of San Jose. Serving the entire Jewish community, this cemetery is still owned and operated by our congregation. Home of Peace Cemetery features traditional lawn sections, a mausoleum and cremation niches.
Home of Peace Cemetery is located at 300 Curtner Avenue, San Jose, near the corner of Monterey Road. For more information, call (408) 266-4184.